Staff Selection Commission conduct an All India Open Competitive Examination for recruitment to the posts of Stenographer Grade ‘C’(Group ‘B’ Non-Gazetted) and Stenographer Grade ‘D’(Group ‘C’ Non-Gazetted). Since the SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ is comprised of 2 different levels, we must deal with their syllabus independently.
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Skill Test||Pen and Paper mode|
SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ Tier-1 Pattern
This is an objective exam which will be conducted online. There are 3 sections in the Tier 1 exam of SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ 2018.
Date of Computer Based Examination: 05.02.2019 to 07.02.2019
The subject-wise details are given below:
|Part||Subject||No of Questions||Marks||Exam Duration|
|I.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||2 hours|
|III.||English Language & Comprehension||100||100|
- There is negative marking in SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ 2018 Tier 1 Exam.
- Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.25 marks in all sections
- The exam duration is 2 hours 40 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
- The questions except in Part III will be set both in English & Hindi.
- Normalization: Marks scored by candidates in the Computer Based Examinations, if conducted in multiple shifts, will be normalized and such normalized scores will be used to determine final merit.
Skill Test in Stenography for Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ 2018
Candidates who obtain the qualifying marks in the Written Examination as may be prescribed by the Commission will only be called for the Skill Test. It may also prescribe qualifying marks in each part of the Written Examination.
The skill test will be of qualifying nature.The candidates will have to appear for the stenography test. The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English / Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’. The matter will have to be transcribed on computer only. The evaluation of transcription will be done electronically only. The transcription time is as follows:-
|S. No.||Post Name||Language Of Skill Test||Duration|
|1||Stenographer Grade ‘D’||English||50 min|
|3||Stenographer Grade ‘C’||English||40 min|
Note: Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment, failing which their probation may not be cleared by appointing departments.
Candidates have to work as English/Hindi stenographers as per the functional requirement of the User Office irrespective of the medium of Skill Test of candidate during the examination.
3. Document Verification:
Candidates will be required to produce all documents in original for verification at the time of document verification. And Detailed options for various posts and Departments will be taken from candidates either online or at the time of document verification.
Final Selection for SSC Stenographer Grade C & D -> Final selection and allocation of Ministries/ Departments will be made on the basis of the performance of candidates in the Computer Based Examination and the preference of Posts/ Departments exercised by them at the time of Document Verification (DV).
- If the candidates do not indicate the medium of stenography test in the Application Form, the Commission will consider English as the medium of stenography test for such candidates.
- There is no exemption from skill test for any category of candidates.
- Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment.
- VH candidates will be required to transcribe the matter in 75 minutes for English Shorthand or in 100 minutes for Hindi Shorthand for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ and in 70 minutes for English Shorthand test and in 95 minutes for Hindi Shorthand test for the post of Stenographer Grade‘C’.
- The skill test will be held at the Commission’s Regional/Sub Regional Offices or at other Centres as may be decided by the Commission.
- Detailed instructions regarding Skill Test will be sent by the concerned Regional/Sub Regional Offices of the Commission to the candidates called for the Skill Test.
SSC STENOGRAPHER Syllabus 2018
Since the SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ is comprised of 2 different levels, we must deal with SSC Stenographer Syllabus independently.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for written examination:
Tier 1 exam of SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ 2018
General Intelligence & Reasoning: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type.The test will include questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, problem solving, analysis, judgement, decision making, visual memory, discriminating observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series, non-verbal series etc. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationship, arithmetical computation and other analytical functions.
General Awareness: Questions will be designed to test the ability of the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its Neighboring countries especially pertaining to Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene, General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research etc. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline. For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability /cerebral palsy affected candidates and opting for scribe there will be no component of Maps/Graphs/Diagrams/Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning / General Awareness Paper.
English Language & Comprehension: In addition to the testing of candidates’ understanding of the English, its vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and its correct usage, etc. his/her writing ability, would also be tested.